Sunday, August 7, 2011

Snickerdoodles

Sweet Sunday's Yummy Lit Review:
Snickerdoodles

Three months ago JJ put an order in for cinnamon buns. In all due respect, I was very busy in those three months. Graduation. Birthday celebrations x 3. E was in town and JJ not so much in town. Full time work. It was hectic.

And those cinnamon buns they wanted, well I make them 100% from scratch. That means 5 hours of straight baking.

Putting my excuses *cough* aside, I took three months to make a pan of cinnamon buns. But, those buns did bring me promptly back into baking-mode.

Which brings me to Snickerdoodles.

I've wanted to try Snickerdoodles for awhile now. I hadn't heard of these cookies until last year... but when I saw how simple the recipe was I knew I had to give it a shot.

To be honest, I was skeptical that something with so little ingredients and such simple procedures could be so good!


Martha Stewart's Cookies (2008, p 82) says:

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups plus two tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350*F. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Put butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs. Reduce speed to low: gradually mix in flour mixture.

Stir together cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into twenty 1 3/4 inch balls; roll in cinnamon sugar. Space 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

Bake cookies, rotating halfway through, until edges are golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 3 days.



These cookies are so simple and yet so wonderfully delicious! They remind me of a cross between a Timbit and a cut-out sugar cookie. The outside of the cookie is soft, sweet, and donut-like while the inside is alike to a moist, yet dense, biscuit.

I love these cookies but they somehow remind me of Christmas. I'll definitely be making them in December!

PS - Martha says the recipe yields 1 1/2 dozen cookies.... I happened to make 3 dozen decent sized cookies!

2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic - thank you for sharing. I will be making this recipe soon for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love snickerdoodles! They're one of my favorite cookies! :) They look so very tasty, I might have to make some soon. Thank you for the recipe, Ms. C!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...