Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Duo

Sweet Sunday's Yummy Lit Review:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Duo


You know those friends who are absolutely inspiring? They're the people who seem to have their lives together - they know what they want, how to get it, and are well on the way of getting it. They even manage to praise your accomplishments, help you through the consequences of your bad decisions without saying "I told you so," convince you to challenge yourself for the better, and find a good laugh in the random events that comprise life.

Well, let me introduce you to Curly J, the creator of Running From Cupcakes.

Curly J and I, with a friendship that has lasted over eight years, share a strong passion for baking. Last July Curly J tried out a recipe at Picky Palate for these peanut butter/chocolate cookies that looked divine. I decided to try my hand at the same recipe before catching my flight to eastern America.


Here's the nuts and bolts of the cookie:

Peanut Butter Cookie part
1 cup creamy peanut butter -- I used the chunky kind
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg

1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.

Chocolate Chip Cookie part
2 sticks softened butter (1 cup)
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and sugars until well combined. Slowly beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Place flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl; mix with fork or sift. Add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until just combined.

2. Take a tablespoon of peanut butter cookie dough and a tablespoon of chocolate cookie dough and gently press together forming a "not so perfect" ball. Don't press and roll too much, just stick them together and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are cooked through to your liking. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!



I'll start off by saying I loved making these cookies. I was warned that they might not turn out and that there would probably be too little chocolate cookie dough. Throughout the entire procedure I was dubious - a peanut butter cookie composed of just peanut butter, sugar, and an egg? And the chocolate cookie portion seemed a bit too heavy on the dry ingredient list. However, I followed the ingredients and their stipulated amount word for word. In the end I had the perfect amount of dough.


There is one thing I didn't follow in Picky Palate's recipe... When it came time to combine the peanut butter and chocolate together I definitely wasn't gentle. I varied between placing peanut butter cookie dough directly into the center of a mainly chocolate cookie (with just a bit of peanut butter sticking out to be seen)... to being more creative and forming the peanut butter dough into shapes of the alphabet... I'm particularly fond of my 'W.' I also mashed the peanut butter and chocolate together, rolled it into a tight ball, and let it do its thing in the oven.

The cookies came out of the oven after 10 minutes in perfect shape... and they tasted pretty darn good, too! The flavors of chocolate and peanut butter support each other just as a sound friendship should. This is definitely a recipe I'll be keeping on file.


Hope you all have a sweet Sunday!
Bye for now :)

11 comments:

  1. Whoa. Those have to be the best looking cookies ever! I've got to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks bestie!!! You know I'll ALWAYS be there for you.. through thick and thin!! We're going to grow old together and sit in rocking chairs on our front porch! (remember we promised each that in high school??? :P)

    I'm glad you had a better time with those cookies than I did! And they look 100% better than mine too! lol.

    Hope you're having a good time on your trip!! Don't worry, I didn't forget you had left hehe. I woke up Saturday morning and realized you were no longer in Canada... it was weird!

    Hope you're having fun!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look amazing! I will definitely try these sometime. Good luck on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ms. C,
    I finally got around to posting my nominees for the Versatile Blogger Award. I also mentioned your blog. ;)
    Thanks once again!
    Come check it out.
    www.claudiadelbalso.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emidy - You're welcome, something this good shouldnt be kept secret haha. They are definetly yummy cookies and totally worth a shot at baking.

    CurlyJ - Hi! haha no worries, I know you wouldn't forget I was out of country. I'm having a blast... won't be back for a few more days. Glad to hear those rocking chairs still await lol.

    Bailey - Thanks for the good luck wishes!

    Claudia - I visited your blog earlier today, its looking great as normal. I love the advice you give to new writers. Keep up the amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, just letting you know that I did a spotlight on Coffee Tale Reviews on my blog since you gave me The Versatile Blogger Award a while ago. Just wanted to tell you that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa & Brenna -- thanks you! You should try our the recipe yourselves, it's pretty easy to follow and has very very yummy results :)

    Bailey -- thank you so much for spotlighting me! I'm off to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was there ever a better marriage of flavors than chocolate and peanut butter?!?!

    When I first tried the new Reese's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups I realized heaven had definitely come to Earth and this recipe looks like another step in that infinitely right direction! Definitely gonna try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these look delicious! Must.try. them.... thanks for stopping by my blog, returning the follow!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...