Friday, January 14, 2011

Zodiac Schmodiac?

Earlier today I noticed many Facebook friends profusely stating their love for given zodiac signs. Statuses like "I am so not a Taurus, Gemini defines me!" made me wonder what exactly was going on. One Google search later and I had the answer.

On 13 January 2011 global news reports claimed that the age-old zodiac signs may possibly change in the near-future. Apparently, the world's orientation with the sun has shifted, leading to the need for a new zodiac sign... Ophiuchus.

Why they decided on a name that sounds like a bad bowel disease I will never know.

Were you impacted by the potential changes?

* Capricorn: January 20 - February 16
* Aquarius: February 16 - March 11
* Pisces: March 11- April 18
* Aries: April 18- May 13
* Taurus: May 13- June 21
* Gemini: June 21- July 20
* Cancer: July 20- August 10
* Leo: August 10- September 16
* Virgo: September 16- October 30
* Libra: October 30- November 23
* Scorpio: November 23- November 29
* Ophiuchus: November 29- December 17
* Sagittarius: December 17- January 20

Under this system I move from being a Cancer to a Gemini. Cancer's withdrawn nature, emotionality, and occasional bout of moodiness sounds a lot more like me than the double-natured Gemini.

But, perhaps I carry Cancer's qualities merely because I grew up knowing my zodiac sign and its characteristics? Is this why so many others on Facebook have created statuses protesting against zodiac sign changes? Does believing in the zodiac signs merely create self-fulfilling prophecies of our own character?

7 comments:

  1. I love being a pisces! I forever will be one. I also think it shouldn't matter now what the signs are according to where the earth is now, it should revolve around where the earth was when you were born. Maybe the new signs should be for the new generation being born?

    I don't know. What I do know is that people can't leave well alone. They always have to stir the pot :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so I always thought your zodiac was the sign you were born under. So even if there is a new zodiac list, weren't you still born under the old one?

    I feel like the signs are self-fulfilling. You read what characteristics you're supposed to have and then you figure out how that fits with your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, you ladies are probably right! Earth's placement at time of birth sounds pretty logical to me haha. I agree with you Red, the signs seem self-fulling... but I wish they'd just leave the old zodiac system intact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog :]

    I was born under and really see myself as a Pisces; quiet, imaginative, sensitive, it's totally me. Under the 'new' sign I'd be an Aquarius, which doesn't seem too different, but to shift all the signs after soo long is just creating a problem where there isn't one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting and commenting, Laura :) I hope the old system remains, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been curious about this since seeing tons of posts on Facebook about this as well. Thanks for posting this - I am hugely relieved to see that I am still a Pisces!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting and following, April! Looks like you have lucked out with the signs :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...