Friday, August 27, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday

After Looking through some blogs on the Hop I discovered a new-to-me meme going on in the book blogger world.

Book Beginnings on Friday, hosted by Becky at Page Turners, is another Mr. Linky method to get us bloggers to connect. All that is required? Just the first sentence of the latest book you are reading.


I'm currently reading a non-fiction book titled How Fantasy Becomes Reality: Seeing Through Media Influence. Written by Karen E. Dill, a social psychologist, this book analyzes how the media (tv, music, movies, and even reading material) shapes western culture and one's perception of themselves.

How Fantasy Becomes Reality begins by stating "right now, at this moment in history, Americans are having a love affair with mass media."

I admit, this does sound dry, to the point, and something that we all knew... but the book is really interesting. I'm only 46 pages in (just started reading last night) but I can't wait to do a real review of Dill's work.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of book! ...And much needed. It's amazing what people lap up from the media these days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it could be very interesting -- or be such a huge topic it consumes itself.

    Thanks for visiting Rose City Reader. I am glad I found your blog and will go look around some more right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the title alone, I think it sounds pretty interesting. Neat idea for a meme, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the sound of this book! I'm sure it's a fascinating read. Glad you're liking it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound interesting and something we can all relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great, I definitely don't read enough non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beginning does sound a little dry, but the book itself sounds fascinating. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Glad to have found you via the Hop!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...