Sunday, November 21, 2010

Brown Butter Babies

Sweet Sunday Yummy Lit Review:
Brown Butter Babies

I realized earlier this week that it has been an exceedingly long time since I donned an apron, tied back my hair, and tackled a cookie recipe. So, with Sunday's Yummy Lit Review looming at my doorstep, I knew I had to tackle a new cookie creation. That's right -- after a month of no cookies, I'm finally back at it!

This morning I tried out a recipe from last week's baking magazine, Canadian Living. On page 27 (in case you're in my neck of the woods and would like to check out the hard copy) it says we'll need:


3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp each of baking soda and salt
3 tbsp granulated sugar
30 walnut halves (I just used cut up walnuts, definitely not 30 and definitely not halved)

In small saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until brown and nutty, about 5 minuets. Let cool.


In large bowl, beat brown sugar with cooled butter until fluffy. Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.

In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir into butter mixture in two additions.


Roll by rounded 1 tbsp into balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place, about 3 inches apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets (*I use Pam instead). With bottom of glass or measuring cup, press to scant 1/2 inch thickness. Press walnut half into centre of each.

Bake in 350* oven until golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Lt cool on pans on racks for 3 minutes; transfer to racks and let cool completely.




They say these cookies are for Christmas. I say, not so! When I took the first bite I wasn't sold on them. They are very sugary. There's something about them that does remind me of a Christmas cookie in the style of speculaas or gingerbread... but none of the required spices are in this creation.

After an enjoyable phone call and a second cookie I'm thinking they're not so bad after all. Maybe my good mood rubbed off on my cooking rating? I'm not so sure. They're pretty, I will give them that. But in the taste department they are nothing to rave home about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...