Earlier today I noticed many Facebook friends profusely stating their love for given zodiac signs. Statuses like "I am so not a Taurus, Gemini defines me!" made me wonder what exactly was going on. One Google search later and I had the answer.
On 13 January 2011 global news reports claimed that the age-old zodiac signs may possibly change in the near-future. Apparently, the world's orientation with the sun has shifted, leading to the need for a new zodiac sign... Ophiuchus.
Why they decided on a name that sounds like a bad bowel disease I will never know.
Were you impacted by the potential changes?
* Capricorn: January 20 - February 16
* Aquarius: February 16 - March 11
* Pisces: March 11- April 18
* Aries: April 18- May 13
* Taurus: May 13- June 21
* Gemini: June 21- July 20
* Cancer: July 20- August 10
* Leo: August 10- September 16
* Virgo: September 16- October 30
* Libra: October 30- November 23
* Scorpio: November 23- November 29
* Ophiuchus: November 29- December 17
* Sagittarius: December 17- January 20
Under this system I move from being a Cancer to a Gemini. Cancer's withdrawn nature, emotionality, and occasional bout of moodiness sounds a lot more like me than the double-natured Gemini.
But, perhaps I carry Cancer's qualities merely because I grew up knowing my zodiac sign and its characteristics? Is this why so many others on Facebook have created statuses protesting against zodiac sign changes? Does believing in the zodiac signs merely create self-fulfilling prophecies of our own character?