Monday, April 18, 2011

A Real-Time Post

Hello all!

Most of you will be aware that I'm currently stationed in England. I have been posting updates (written before departure) over the last few weeks. But, I have yet to create a real-time post. A post that I have written while in foreign territory. Today's my first 'do nothing' day, and what better way to spend it than re-entering the blogging world.

So, how is the Land of E treating me?
.
Very well, thank you. I love England. I may be a North American girl through and through, but I do have a *big* soft spot for Europe. However, there are some glaring differences between my home and native land to the Big E.

1. Let's start out simple. I've had the hardest time getting used to driving on the other side of the road. Cars coming at me from the right? Its just weird. I'm ever-so-glad that I have E to remind me what way to look for oncoming cars while crossing the road... otherwise, I may turn into a mess.

2. Chips. My gosh, England's chips are good. North American chips (ie - French fries) are nothing in comparison to the goodness of these chips.

3. Tea and cake shops. These so beat Starbucks. Teas and coffees and delicious cakes.... yumm.

4. What's with the naked ladies? As a feminist, I can only cringe when I open a newspaper and see naked women (and only naked women) in the front of the newspapers. Where are the naked men? Where is equality? Where is respect?

5. Canada was formally established in 1867... Yesterday, I was in a building erected during the 1300s.

6. Book stores in England are pretty similar to Barnes and Nobles or Chapters... but they are located in gorgeous older buildings full of character.

7. Speaking of book stores, there seems to be a variety of different books available in England. I have stumbled upon quite a few books that sound wonderful and are unavailable on the North American side of the pond (as for now).

8. House keys. I have spent a lifetime seeing the same sized keys on my key chain. Here, the English have key chains full of character if not only because their house keys are big, bulky, and antique-ish.

9. Oatcakes. I love this Stoke-on-Trent speciality. After going five years without, I had the hugest craving for oatcakes upon my arrival. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when E's mum made some up for dinner. They were so good I couldn't stop myself from grinning ear to ear.

10. In Canada, it's impossible to sit on E's furniture... in England, I can lie on it while blogging to you all and talking to him in the flesh, too! Goodbye Skype!


As you can put together, I'm having a great time in the Land of E. Amid all of my travels, including some time in Poland, I have also been reading. Stay tuned for my next real-time post on the book I devoured during the 9.5 hour flight here.

6 comments:

  1. England. *sigh* How I envy you! My hubby and I are hopping the pond to vacation in Northern England for a week-ish next month and I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww glad you're having a good time!! Speaking of book stores, I've been discovering some good finds lately myself. I have taken in so many kids books over the last 3 days, and I have them all laid out in piles according to what level reading they are lol. And speaking of travelling.. that could be in my near future.. can't say where and I don't know if its for sure yet.. but it will be an adventure! Looking forward to seeing you when you get back!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you are having such a great time! I hope you are taking lots of photos! When I was in England I loved scouting out the used book stores - talk about character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only *wish* I could be in England right now. Someday I'll get there but for now I'll just enjoy the English pub run by English people in my dirty American city.

    Glad to hear you're having such a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me wish I was in a cozy tea shop with a good book! Glad you're having a good time...is the royal wedding madness getting super crazy over there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, ladies! I hope you all enjoy your stay in England when it comes - hopefully sooner rather than later! :)

    As for the wedding... there is a lot of madness on the streets (ie: shop windows/displays, newspapers, and tourist merchandise). The average English person, however, seems to just be happy for a day off!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...