Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Seeds

Sweet Sunday Yummy Lit Review:
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Over the last few days I have adapted my blog to include non-literary review postings as (until December) it is near impossible for me to read a book for personal pleasure. However, do not fret - I am in the midst of reading a verrrry long Victorian novel for class which may just make its way onto CTR.

Sweet Sunday has transformed this week. Instead of solely providing cookie reviews, I will also create and review other goodies. Muffins, cupcakes, cakes, breads... roasted pumpkin seeds? Well, they do involve the use of an oven.

This weekend I decided to tackle pumpkin carving. And, after diving into my pumpkin and retrieving a handful of seeds I knew I had to try to make something with them.

I wasn't quite sure what could be done with the seeds. Even turning to the internet did not lead to a whole lot of ideas. However, I did find a recipe for roasting pumpkin seeds at Rachel Ray's website. Here's what she says to do:


1. Clean, toss with extra virgin olive oil and salt.

2. Spread out onto a baking sheet.

3. Heat the oven to 350* F, toast for 30-40 minutes.

4. Give them a shake every once and a while to make sure they're toasted evenly.... or take them out when they are starting to brown.


I followed the recipe word for word. I cleaned the seeds and left them to dry overnight. This afternoon, mixing them with evoo and salt (sorry, I just dumped the oil and pinched the salt, no exact measurements here!), I put them into the oven for 30 minutes.

How did they turn out? Sadly, just alright. I have never roasted pumpkin seeds before... or even tried them for that matter... so I had no idea what to expect.

If you do try your hand at these, make sure to check them frequently. I tried a seed twenty minutes into the process and it was super tasty... However, at thirty minutes I find them to be a bit dry. I should have taken them out sooner... oh well, it was a learning process to say the least.

What do you do with your pumpkin seeds? I have one more pumpkin to carve this week, and I'm still open to seed-baking suggestions.

Ohh, and here's my finished pumpkin!


Hope you all have a Sweet Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. Pumpkin seeds are one of my fav parts of fall. Try using Montreal Steak Seasoning instead of just salt for a little extra flavor. I've also made them with cinnamon and a little nutmeg, although I didn't like these quite as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Red :) The steak seasoning does sound good... perhaps I'll be making those later on this week hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm pumpkin seeds! I use butter and Seasoning Salt and absolutely love them :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm that does sound good, too :)

    I think I'm going to have to crack open my next pumpkin soon - I polished off that bowl two days ago.... and all by myself! lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...