Friday, June 15, 2012

Can't Believe I Read It

I love my Sony eReader so much that  I decided to load it up full of books (purchases, author reviews, and library loans) prior to leaving Canada last month.  I had around six electronic novels waiting to be read and I thought I would be set.* 

One of the books I brought along, electronically speaking, was Twilight by Stephenie Meyers.  Twilight has such a bad reputation - before purchasing it on my Sony eReader account I ummed and awwed while wondering if I really wanted to bridge into the universe of Twilight.  I remembered reading one chapter after the first movie was released and deciding it just wasn't for me.  Was it time for me to revisit this book?

I had heard a lot about Twilight, YA, and teenagers after a year of library school where we are taught to 'know' our patrons' needs.  Twilight was discussed as many people's secret (as in: "oh I read that, it's so good and addictive, but such bad prose").  Occasionally people mentioned the weak female lead character and what that could represent to female youth.  There is a lot of buzz on Twilight in library school and I figured I might as well try it out again on a long, 9.5 hour flight.

I finished reading Twilight last night.  It is definitely a quick read and extremely addictive.  I was surprised that I craved to read another chapter, to find out where the story ends.  I want to read the other books in the series but have yet to locate copies.

I think Twilight is so addictive because it is something so many young females dream of -- what unpopular girl wouldn't crave to move to a new school where boys shower her in attention, make instant friends, and fall in love with a supernaturally handsome guy?  Minus the fact that vampires and big fight scenes are involved, and you are left with an interesting and twisting love story.  I think that is what drew me into this book.



* Sidenote: I, being the bookworm that I am, ended up buying thirteen books while in England.  So many books, in fact, that my carry-on bag had to be emptied at the airport before departure due to weight!





Bibliographic Information:
Meyers, S.  (2008).  Twilight.  New York: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...