Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To Read or Not to Read, That is the Question

In one of my prior posts I mentioned the fact that I planned, and tried reallllllly hard, not to buy any books in Europe. I did not succeed.  In fact, I failed the task so badly that I had to pay for an overweight bag at the airport. 

This has led some readers to ask what books I purchased and what is currently on my bookshelf and eReader TBR pile.  Well, here goes...

The books that made me too heavy to fly:
~ The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
~ Pear Shaped by Stella Newman
~ The Woman He Loved Before by Dorothy Koomson
~ Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan
~ At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
~ Bluestockings by Jane Robinson
~ Shapely Ankle Preferr'd by Francesca Beauman
~ Sex in Elizabethan England by Alan Haynes
* I have refrained from listing an additional slew of tourist books that will not be featured here.


Bookshelf TBR pile Fiction:
~ Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
~ Love Letters by Katie Fforde
~ Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett
~ Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland
~ Small Wars by Sadie Jones


Bookshelf TBR pile Non-Fiction:
~ The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence by Henry A. Giroux
~ The Brigade by Howard Blum
~ Hope is the Last to Die by Halina Birenbaum
~ Warrant of Arrest by Kazimierz Albin
~ Empty Water: A Memoir of the Warsaw Ghetto by Krystyna Zywulska
~ I was Doctor Mengele's Assistant by Miklos Nyiszli
~ With Hitler to the End: The Memoirs of Adolf Hitler's Valet by Heinz Linge
~ Ruta's Closet by Keither Morgan
~ The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz by Denis Avey


eReader TBR list:
~ Dead End Deal by Allen Wyler
~ Narrative Loserdom by Ryan Collins
~ We Bury the Landscape by Krisine Ong Muslim
~ Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins





Do any stand out?



What do you think should be read next?

3 comments:

  1. I think the two books I most want to read from this list are Shadow of the Wind and Clara and Mr. Tiffany. I feel kind of guilty that they are still on my TBR list because I bought the books last year and still haven't read them.

    I read Portrait of an Unknown Woman and thought it was kind of dry reading. It read very old fashioned- like an historical fiction book written 50+ years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by :)

      I have recently finished Shadow of the Wind -- it was awesome! My review for it will be posted in early July.

      As for Portrait of an Unknown Woman... I bought it years ago and tried to read it. I also found it dry, and thus its been on my bookshelf ever since. I recently thought I should bust it out and give it another shot... perhaps? haha.

      Delete
  2. I love buying books as much as I like reading them. My dad doesn't like it... :P

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...